- Louisiana law (RS 13:5713) states “the coroner or his designee shall examine all alleged victims of rape, carnal knowledge, sexual battery, incest and crime against nature when such cases are under investigation by the police”.
- Recognizing that sexual assault may be one component of a violent crime, it is imperative that the victim first seek emergency medical care for any injuries through a hospital based Emergency Department.
- The Coroner for St. Tammany Parish hereby designates the emergency physician, hospital based SANE nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) or pediatrician on duty to perform the required sexual assault examination and collect necessary evidence according to the following protocols:
Adult victims over the age of 17 years of will be examined in the Emergency Department of their choice in one of the following hospitals
- St. Tammany Parish Hospital Emergency Room
1202 S Tyler St Covington, LA (985) 898-4000
- Lakeview Regional Medical Center Emergency Room
95 Judge Tanner Blvd Covington, LA (985) 867-3800
- Louisiana Heart Hospital Emergency Room 64030
Louisiana 434 Lacombe, LA (985) 690-7500
- Slidell Memorial Hospital Emergency Room
1001 Gause Blvd. Slidell, LA 70458 985-280-2200
Ocshsner Medical Center Emergency Room
100 Medical Center Dr, Slidell, LA 70461 985-649-7070
Any victim under the age of 17 years should first be medically stabilized at the Emergency Room of their choice then transferred for the sexual assault examination to the Emergency Room or Care Center at
Children’s Hospital in New Orleans
200 Henry Clay Ave,
New Orleans, LA 70118
Once evidence is collected it shall be sealed and turned over to the proper law enforcement agency for processing though the usual chain of custody.